App that allows users to access Facebook from their desktop
- Category Chat & forums
- Program license Free
- Version 188.8.131.52
- Size 1.5 MB
- Works under: Windows 8.1 / Windows 8 / Windows 7 / Windows Vista / Windows XP
- Program available in English
- Program by Facebook Pro
History of Facebook and the Facebook Pro App
Facebook is a social networking and media site that was launched in February of 2004; its Free Facebook Pro app was released to work with Windows operating systems XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.
What is Included with the Facebook Pro App?
Everything you can do on the in-browser Facebook website, you can do in the Facebook Pro App. One positive feature about the Facebook Pro App is that there is no installation required; all one has to do is download the app, enter one’s security credentials for your account and you are in. You can even download the app to a USB thumb drive and take it anywhere you want to go.
- Price: Free
- Do not have to access your browser to use Facebook
- Portable, does not have to be installed
- Can be laughed from a USB thumb-drive
- Restricts access only to Facebook
- You can do everything you can on the in-browser Facebook such as: write and view timeline posts, like pages and statuses, read messages, accept or deny friend requests, read news reports and trending topics, as well as view photos or play games.
- Integrated chat feature
- Runs on all versions of Windows
- Small file size 4.6MB
- Manage Facebook Pro from your system tray icon list
- Can also pin the app to your Windows taskbar
- Installs and uninstalls without problems, simple and fast.
- Must have internet connection, no off-line browsing available.
- No extra enhancements, functions, or features.
- Uses alot of memory resources, somewhere along the lines of 130MB of RAM.
- No added security features.
- Not a must have app.
- States there are Lite and Mobile versions, they have yet to be found.
- No “Help” file
- Only available in English downloads
While Facebook is one of the most widely used social media sites, its Facebook Pro App is nothing more than a waste of space on your hard drive. Taking up 130MB of RAM its resources exceed what should be required to be running a limited app such as this. There is nothing added to the Pro App that warrants it being downloaded, as opposed to using it in a browser. Furthermore, there is no added security features in the app, which means that so long as someone has your credentials, such as e-mail address and password they can long into your account from any Facebook Pro App. If that was not enough to deter you, the app keeps you logged in, until you click sign out – leaving you open to having someone access your account if you share a computer.
While it may be easier to use the Facebook Pro App on your desktop as opposed to opening it in browser, there is nothing essential about having the app, as you do not get added extras or functions that you do not receive at the in-browser website. All in all, it would be better just to keep using the social media site in your browser, at least then you get some added security from your web browser.